Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Party Games: So You Think You Can Dance


So You Think You Can Dance is one of my favorite games to animate while hosting a party! There are so many things I love about this game: it takes very little time to set up, the kids have fun letting creative energy out, it's a blast to see kids associate dance moves with different styles, it offers options for kids who aren't necessarily comfortable dancing in front of a group...

While I am setting up for the party, I print out a sheet with different dance styles organized in a table, and cut along the lines of the table to make little slips of paper. Here is a free printable of the dance styles I have used at parties.
Once my dance styles are cut out, I fold them once or twice, put them in a cup and set them aside until I need them during the party.

When I am ready to play the game, I ask the kids to find a partner (or I pre-plan partners before the party). I tell the kids that I am going to give them and their partners about 10 minutes to plan a 30 to 90 second dance routine. Once the 10 minutes are up, they will each get the chance to perform in front of the group. As I mentioned before, some kids are not keen on busting a move in front of a large group, I have solved this problem in the past by allowing them to form larger groups (3-4 kids instead of 2) or giving them the role of the 'guesser.' Having some kids be 'guessers' means that when the teams pick their dance styles, they keep it a secret and once they perform the 'guessers' have to guess what style they were performing.

Once the 10 minute rehearsal stars I put one song on repeat because every team will be dancing to the same song. In the past, I have used songs like: Shake it Off by Taylor Swift, No by Meghan Trainor, Better When I'm Dancin' by Meghan Trainor, Brighter Than the Sun by Colbie Callait... But really any song that you are loving will do! I usually walk around to help any groups that are struggling, but the kids generally become pretty independent once the music comes on. After the 10 minute rehearsal is up, I gather all the kids in a common area and the performances begin! Make sure to have a camera on hand because there are always some pretty sweet moves!

Recap:
1. Print out dance styles, cut along the lines, fold up & put in a cup.
2. Pick a song.
3. Split the kids into teams of 2.
4. Give the teams 10 minutes to rehearse.
5. Gather the kids in a common area and perform!

See you tomorrow!
Kenzie



2 comments:

  1. OMG! This is a great first post!!! Looking forward to seeing more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, girl! You're too funny!

    ReplyDelete