Monday, July 25, 2016

Cranberry, Apple & Walnut Salad


I found this cranberry, apple and walnut salad recently on a blog called Creme de la Crumb, you can find the original recipe here! Here is how I make this recipe...
 
Start with about 6 cups of spinach in a medium sized salad bowl. Wash and chop up 1 red apple and one green apple.
Chop up 1 cup of walnuts - I usually coarsely chop up the walnuts with a knife but you could pulse them in the food processor a couple of times to get quicker results. The original recipe recommends 1/3 cup of crumbled feta cheese and I followed this when I made the recipe for the first time, but I have since increased the feta to 1/2 cup, because it's my favorite part of the salad! Add 1/3 cup of dried cranberries and set the salad bowl aside to make the dressing.
The original recipe makes a TON of dressing, so I half it. Even with halving it, I still find I have left over dressing at the bottom of the salad bowl when the salad has been eaten. So, you could potentially 1/3 or maybe even quarter the original recipe... I have yet to try that so I will share the halved version:

Whisk together 1/2 cup of apple juice, 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 tablespoon of olive oil (I reduce the oil down to more than half!) and some salt and pepper in a glass measuring cup.
Once the dressing is mixed, pour it over the salad and toss the salad until all the ingredients are well coated in dressing. I recommend not tossing the dressing into the salad until you are ready to serve it.

CRANBERRY, APPLE & WALNUT SALAD:

Ingredients:
for the salad...
6 cups baby spinach
1 red apple, washed & chopped into 1 inch chunks
1 green apple, washed & chopped into 1 inch chunks
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled (increased from 1/3 cup)
1/3 cup dried cranberries
for the dressing...
1/2 cup apple juice
 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt & pepper

Directions:
1. Gather spinach, chopped red & green apple in a medium sized salad bowl.
2. Coarsely chop walnuts to add to the salad bowl, crumble the feta over the salad and add in dried cranberries.
3. In a glass measuring cup, whisk together apple juice, apple cider vinegar, honey, olive oil, salt and pepper until well combined.
4. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until well combined.

Enjoy!
Kenzie    





No comments:

Post a Comment