Thursday, September 1, 2016

Leek & Potato Soup

Happy September!! I had my wisdom teeth removed last week so this week called for a whole lot of soup! Not only was my food intake pretty restricted but I am just craving fall lately and I knew a soup would give me a little taste of the cozy days ahead! I found this recipe through Pinterest and you can find the original recipe HERE. I doubled the original recipe because I wanted to have leftovers for days to come & I am still enjoying this soup! Here is how I did Leek & Potato Soup:
Start by washing and thinly slicing up 4 cups of leaks - this is about 4 leaks. Next, dice 24oz/700g of potatoes into 2" cubes - this is about 4 - 4 1/2 cups of diced potatoes.
In a large sauce pan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add in 4 cloves of garlic and 4 cups of leeks and allow this mixture to simmer for 7-8 minutes until the leeks soften.
Add in 8 cups of chicken broth and 4 - 4 1/2 cups of diced potatoes put the lid of the pot on and allow the soup to simmer of 25 minutes until the potatoes are very soft and mash easily with a spoon. Once the potatoes are cooked, turn the heat off. The original recipe recommends using a stick blender to blend the soup until it is smooth. I do not have a stick blender so I mashed the potatoes by hand and then put the little bits of the soup at a time into the food processor. Pulse the soup in the food processor until it is JUST blended to avoid the potatoes getting sticky.
Stir in 1/2 cup of heavy cream to the blended soup and salt & pepper to host. Serve garnished with croutons and chives. I made croutons by baking a crusty bread at 350 degress Fahrenheit for about 10 minutes

LEEK AND POTATO SOUP
ingredients
4 tablespoons butter
4 garlic cloves
4 cups of leeks, sliced thinly (4 leeks)
4 - 4 1/2 cups of potatoes, diced into 2" cubes (24oz/700g)
8 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream

for garnish
crusty bread
chives

directions
1. Wash and thinly slice leaks. Next, dice potatoes into 2" cubes.
2. In a large sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and leeks and allow this mixture to simmer for 7-8 minutes until the leeks soften.
3. Add in chicken broth and diced potatoes put the lid of the pot on and allow the soup to simmer of 25 minutes until the potatoes are very soft and mash easily with a spoon. Once the potatoes are cooked, turn the heat off.
4. The original recipe recommends using a stick blender to blend the soup until it is smooth. I do not have a stick blender so I mashed the potatoes by hand and then put the little bits of the soup at a time into the food processor. Pulse the soup in the food processor until it is JUST blended to avoid the potatoes getting sticky.
5. To... make croutons out of the bread bake crusty bread in the oven at 350F for about 10 minutes. Serve the soup topped with croutons and chives.

Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment