Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Waffles

This waffle recipe comes from the little pamphlet that came with my family's waffle maker - so it is nothing fancy but it is delicious and I am so excited to share this recipe with you today! Small disclaimer before we start, I did a terrible job of taking pictures for this post! I missed a whole bunch of the little in between steps so I will do my best to explain everything and hopefully compensate with more picture when I make these again!
                                      
In a medium bowl, mix together 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Once the dry ingredients are well mixed, stir in 1 cup of milk.

Here is where it gets a little complicated - you need to add in 1 egg, but the egg needs to be separated. I usually crack my egg and catch the yolk, and let the white fall into a glass measuring cup. I set aside the white and put the yolk right into my mixing bowl with the flour/baking powder/milk... mixture and stir it in. Then, I use a whisk to beat the egg white until stiff peaks form - you could use an electric mixer if you prefer :) Once the egg white is ready, fold it into the batter.

***Here are pictures from a different batch of waffles of how I add the egg - 
The egg yolk goes right in with the other batter.
 Then, I beat the egg white until stiff until it looks like the picture above.

Finally, Fold in 1/2 tablespoon of melted butter. Be careful not to over mix the batter - once everything is combined, let it be!

My family has a White-Westinghouse Belgian Waffle maker - but I'm pretty sure this recipe will work with any waffle maker! When your batter is mixed, pour 1/2 cup of it into each side of the waffle press. Let the batter sit for about a minute (or until the batter begins to bubble) before closing the top of the press. Close the waffle machine and let the waffles cook for 4 minutes. I recommend using tongs to remove the waffles from the press.
This recipe makes 6 waffles - so you may need to double it to cater to your needs.
My family serves are waffles with the choice of Nutella, Cream Cheese or Maple Syrup - what do you put on your waffles?

WAFFLES
yield: 6 waffles
ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 cup of milk
1 egg, separated
1/2 tablespoon butter, melted

directions
1. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
2. When the dry ingredients are well mixed, stir in milk.
3. Crack the egg, catching the yolk in the shell and letting the white fall into a glass measuring dish.  Set aside the egg white and add the yolk to the medium mixing bowl and stir it into the batter.
4. Use a whisk or an electric mixer to mix the beat the egg until stiff peaks form. Once the egg white is ready, fold it into the batter.
5. Melt the butter and fold it into the batter. Be careful not to overmix your batter.
6. Pour 1/2 cup of batter into each side of your waffle press. Leave the waffle maker open for about a minute - until the batter bubbles. Close the top of the waffle press and let the waffles cook for 4 minutes.
7. Use tongs to remove the waffles from the press and serve with whatever toppings you like!

Let me know if you have questions!






No comments:

Post a Comment