Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Apple Turnovers

Successful making apple turnovers was kind of dream like for me, because they are something I never thought I would be able to make! Well, not only did I make them, but they were much easier than I expected and they turned out great! I used a blog called Live Well, Bake Often to guide me through making these - you can find the original recipe HERE.
First you'll need puff pastry - you can buy puff pastry from the grocery store or you can use my favorite recipe. If you choose to make the puff pastry that I shared last week, cut it in half once it's out of the fridge.

Roll out the puff pastry dough so that you have two 10x10 inch squares.
Then, cut each square into four even pieces.
Peel and chop up 3 apples. Put the apples in a small mixing bowl. **Note I used 3 apples, but had some left over, you could probably reduce the apples to 2 and just put a little less in each turnover. I'll let you know once I've made these more!
Mix 1/4 cup of granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour and 1 teaspoon of  ground cinnamon into the chopped apples.

Distribute the apples among the 8 pieces of puff pastry. Place the apples towards one corner of the pastry dough.

Fold the empty side of the puff pastry over the top of the apples - you may need to use a little water to get the top piece to stick to the bottom and use a fork to press the ends of the turnover together.
Place the turnovers about an inch apart along a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and make them for 16-18 minutes minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (I think my turnovers were in a little closer to 20 minutes, I left them in just until the tops began to brown).

APPLE TURNOVERS
yield: 8 turnovers
ingredients:
Two 10x10 inch sheets of puff pastry (If you are using puff pastry from the store, I think you could just use once pack. If not use one batch of this recipe)
3 apples, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

directions:
1. Roll out puff pastry dough into two 10x10 inch squares, cut each square into four equal pieces.
2. Peel and slice up the apples. Put them into a small mixing bowl. Mix in sugar, flour and cinnamon.
3. Distribute the apples evenly among the squares of puff pastry, place the apples in one corner of the the squares, leaving half of the puff pastry empty along a diagonal.
4. Fold the empty part of the puff pastry over the top of the apples. Use a little water (very little!) to seal the sides of the turnover and use a fork to press the ends of the turnover together.
5. Place the turnovers an inch apart along a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake them for 16-18 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

Let me know if you try these & love them!





No comments:

Post a Comment