Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes

Happy February! I made these cupcakes this past weekend and they were scrumptious! They were a little long a complicated to put together but the end result was so worth it! I started by making my favorite chocolate cupcakes and when the cupcakes were cooled, I cored them and filled them with eggless cookie dough. Then, I iced the cupcakes with my favorite buttercream frosting recipe and stuck a mini chocolate chip cookie in the top.

A couple of things before I start...
1. My mom helped me make these - so there was a lot going on in the kitchen at once and I wasn't able to take pictures of every little step like I usually do. I have some general pictures, but I will do my best to explain how everything came together.
2. The 4 different components of this recipe - the chocolate cake, the eggless cookie dough, the buttercream frosting and the mini chocolate chip cookies come from recipes that I got in four different places. So, before I talk bout each part, I will link to where you can find the original recipe (if applicable 😃).

Start by making 1 recipe of my favorite chocolate cupcakes - you can find the recipe HERE. One recipe makes 24 cupcakes. When the cupcakes are bakes leave them out to cool completely while you make everything else...

I chose to make an eggless cookie dough because I don't love the thought of having salmonella poisening and I try to avoid eating raw egg. I found this recipe on a really cute blog called What Molly Made. You can find it HERE. I only made a third of this recipe because I did not want 3 cups of raw cookie dough in my house and a third of this recipe made enough to fill 24 cupcakes. Here is what you'll need:

EGGLESS COOKIE DOUGH:
yield: 3 cups of cookie dough
ingredients
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips

directions
1. Cream the softened butter and sugars together in a mixing bowl. Once the sugar and butter are well combined, mix in the vanilla.
2. Stir in the salt and flour.
3. When the flour and salt are incorporated, mix in the milk.
4. Stir in the mini chocolate chips.



This mini chocolate chip cookie recipe is from another really cute blog called Semi Sweet Sisters (I found the cutest blogs while making these!!). You can find the original recipe HERE. The recipe below makes 60-70 cookies! I halved this recipe, but I still ended up with 56 cookies!! So, if you are only planning to use these for the cupcakes, half of the recipe is more than enough!

MINI CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
yield: 60-70 mini cookies (maybe more...)
ingredients
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

directions
1. Cream the softened butter, the granulated sugar and the brown sugar together in a mixing bowl. Mix in the egg and the vanilla extract, then set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, the salt, the baking soda and the baking powder. Once the dry ingredients are combined, gradually mix them into the wet ingredients.
3. Mix in the chocolate chips.
4. Use a half teaspoon to measure out the dough and roll each half teaspoon in to balls. Place the balls 1-2 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
5. Bake the cookies for 5-7 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Leave the cookies on the tray for a minute before transferring them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely

Then, you'll need to make a recipe of frosting - I made my favorite buttercream frosting. You can find the recipe HERE. Likely by this point, your cupcakes will be cool. So, you'll need to core them.
I got a cupcake corer for Christmas and I have been dying to use it. It took a minute for me to figure it out, but after a couple of tries, I got it down. I cored all 24 cupcakes, then I set everything out on the counter to start filling & decorating.

I filled each cored cupcake with some eggless cookie dough. Then, I loaded a piping bag with a big star tip and frosted each cupcake using a circular motion. I placed a mini chocolate chip cookie in the top of each frosted cupcake and sprinkled some mini chocolate chip over one side of the frosting.

Phew! It was surprisingly easier than it sounds! If you work in stages and especially if you have a helping hand these come together fairly easily! Let me know if you try them and love them!





No comments:

Post a Comment