In a separate larger mixing bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of whole milk or plain yogurt, 2 tablespoons of lemon zest (the original recipe calls for 1 1/2 tablespoons but my crew likes a strong lemon flavor!) and 2 eggs.
Let the muffins cool before enjoying them!
LEMON POPPY SEED MUFFINS
yield: 18 muffins (the original recipe's yield is 12 muffins, but I was able to get 18 reasonably sized muffins from the batter)
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tablespoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups whole milk or plain yogurt
2 tablespoons lemon zest (increased from 1 1/2 tablespoons)
1/2 cup butter, melted
to brush over the muffins...
juice from 1 lemon
2 tablespoons of sugar
1. In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set the dry ingredients aside.
2. In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine whole milk or plain yogurt, lemon zest and 2 eggs.
3. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just barely combined.
4. Fold in the melted butter, being careful to not over mix.
5. Prepare a muffin tin with cooking spray or cupcake liners and fill each muffin cup to be about 3/4 of the way full.
6. Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit, rotating the muffins halfway through their bake time.
7. Mix the lemon juice and sugar together in a small bowl and brush it over the tops of the muffins as soon as they are removed from the oven.