Thursday, April 13, 2017

Orange & Dark Chocolate Cookies

I made these last week to give to some of my favorite teachers at the end of the semester and I got rave reviews! I usually prefer to use recipes that I know and trust when I'm feeding others, but these looked so delicious, I just couldn't resist! I got the recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction - you can find it HERE.
In a medium mixing bowl, beat 3/4 cup of softened butter with a handheld electric mixer until it is smooth.
Then, beat in 2/3 cup of brown sugar until the mixture is fluffy.
Beat in 1 egg and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Mix with the electric mixture until the egg and vanilla are well incorporated.

In a separate, small mixing bowl, combine 2 cups + 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in 3 shifts - I mixed with the electric mixer after the first two additions, but switched to a wooden spoon for the third.

Zest and juice one medium orange, then add the zest and 2 tablespoons of the juice to the batter.
Transfer the dough onto a generously floured surface and turn it over a few times so that it is coated in flour.
My dough was very sticky, so I ended up kneading it into the flour a couple of times before splitting it into 2 even pieces.

Once the dough is split in two even pieces, shape the dough into a log. I each log was about 10-12'' in length and 2-2.5'' in diameter.

At this point the dough needs to be refrigerated for at least 4 hours (but it can be refrigerated for up to 5 days). I really just can't sit through letting a dough sit in the refrigerator, especially not for 4 hours!! Typically if there is any down time when I'm baking, I do some dishes or scroll through Pinterest but 4 hours!? No ma'am! I did a little research and found that freezing dough reduces the chilling time by a quarter! I have no idea if this information is from a reliable source but I rolled with it and I think it worked! I wrapped each log tightly in plastic wrap and let them sit in the freezer for 1 hour.
Once out of the freezer, I cut each of the logs into 24 pieces. I realize that my cutting board looks like a hot mess in the picture above. I think I was trying to show my process, but who knows!? I cut each log in half, then in half again and in half one more time (oh how confusing is that!?). After the first cut I had 2 pieces, after the second cut, I had 4 pieces, then cut again and had 8 (that's not any less confusing!). When I had 8 even pieces of dough, I cut each of those pieces into 3 cookies. So, 24 total from each log.

Place the cookies about an inch apart along a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. The cookies spread much more than I thought they would, but an inch seemed to be enough room! Bake the cookies at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 12-14 minutes (I ended up putting mine in for 2 minutes more). When the cookies are done, transfer them to wire cooling rack and allow them to cool for 15-20 minutes before dipping them in chocolate.


Once the cookies are cool enough to touch, dip half of each cookie in melted chocolate. I melted 8 oz. of dark chocolate in the microwave. I recommend melting the chocolate in 15-20 second increments so it doesn't burn. Dip the cookies in chocolate and use a spoon to scrape off any excess chocolate. When the cookies have been dipped set them down on wax paper so the chocolate can harden.

Sprinkle some orange zest and sea salt over the top of each cookie while the chocolate is still soft (you could leave out this step though!). I chose to leave out the orange zest and just sprinkled a few of the cookies with sea salt. I noticed a big difference in the cookies with sea salt on them - the salt really brings out the flavor!

My chocolate was still soft after a few hours so I left the cookies in the fridge overnight. In the morning, I transferred them to a plastic bad and placed them back in the fridge. I recommend storing the cookies in the fridge so the chocolate doesn't melt again!
ORANGE & DARK CHOCOLATE COOKIES
yield: 48 cookies

ingredients
3/4 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
Zest from medium orange
2 tablespoons of orange juice (from the zested orange above)
Sea salt, for sprinkling (optional)
Extra orange zest, for sprinkling (optional)

directions
1. In a medium bowl, beat softened butter with an electric mixer until it is smooth. Add brown sugar and mix until well combined. Beat in egg and vanilla until incorporated, then set aside.
2. In a separate small bowl, combine flour, cinnamon and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in three shifts. [NOTE: you could still use the electric mixer, or you could switch to a wooden spoon]
3. When the dry ingredients and wet ingredients are well combined, mix in orange zest and juice.
4. Transfer the dough onto a generously floured surface and knead it a few times, before splitting it into 2 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a log - about 10-12'' in length and 2-2.5'' in diameter.
5. Refrigerate the dough for at least 4 hours (and up to 5 days) OR freeze the dough for 1 hour.
6. Once the dough has been chilled, cut each log into 24 equal pieces.
7. Place each cookie about 1 inch apart along a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
8. Transfer the cookies to wire cooling rack and let them cool for 15-20 minutes before dipping them in chocolate.
9. Melt 8 oz. of dark chocolate (either in a double boiler or in the microwave for 15-20 second increments). Dip half of each cookie in melted chocolate and use a spoon to scrape off any excess chocolate. Once dipped, lay each cookie down on wax paper to let the chocolate harden. If you would like, sprinkle sea salt and orange zest over the part of the cookie with melted chocolate. The cookies can be placed in the refrigerator to accelerate the chocolate's hardening.
10. Store the cookies in a cool area or the fridge to avoid having the chocolate melt again.

Let me know if you have questions!











No comments:

Post a Comment