Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Gluten Free Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble

Today, I'm sharing another exciting gluten free recipe. I've shared several strawberry rhubarb recipes in the past, so the only thing that is really different about this is the gluten free crumble. You can easily sub regular flour and oats into the crumble for a not gluten free treat! Last year, I tried a strawberry rhubarb pie for the first time and I fell in love! For the longest time, I thought rhubarb was just glorified celery :) But it is so much better than I expected! I am now the biggest strawberry rhubarb fan!! I found this recipe on a blog called Texan Erin Baking, you can find it HERE.
Start by mixing 2 cup of hulled strawberries (I slice mine into smaller pieces) and 2 cups of chopped rhubarb together in a medium mixing bowl.

Mix in 1/4 cup of granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon of cornstarch a pinch of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract.

*The original recipe calls for 3/4 teaspoon of almond extract. I omitted because I don't think almond is a flavor that would compliment the strawberry rhubarb combo well. I might give it a try in the future!
Grease an 8x8'' baking dish (I use butter to do this) and pour the fruit mixture into the dish. Then, set the dish aside and start on the crumble.
In a medium mixing bowl (I rinse out the bowl that I prepped my strawberry and rhubarb in and use that!) combine 2/3 cup of softened butter and 2/3 cup of brown sugar. Once the brown sugar and butter are combined, mix in 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon of oat flour (you could use gluten free oat flour, I just used plain gluten free flour) and 1 1/4 cups of rolled oats (I used gluten free oats).
Crumble the topping over the top of the strawberry rhubarb mixture making sure that all of the fruit is covered.

As I am writing this I am realizing that I actually have no clue if rhubarb is a fruit or a vegetable. It must be a vegetable which makes the thought of this so much worse! 
Put the baking dish on a baking sheet (in case the crumble bubbles over!) and bake the crumble for 40-45 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. I recommend checking on the crumble after 40 minutes, mine needed five minutes more and it was perfect! Let the crumble congeal for about a half hour before you serve!

STRAWBERRY RHUBARB CRUMBLE {Gluten Free!}
serves 9-12 people

ingredients
for the filling...
2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
2 cups rhubarb, diced
1.4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt

for the crumble...
2/3 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon oat flour (you can use gluten free oat flour or plain gluten free flour instead)
1 1/4 cups rolled oats (you can use gluten free oats)
1/4 teaspoon salt

directions
1. Combine the strawberries and rhubarb in a medium mixing bowl. Then, add the granulated sugar, cornstarch, vanilla extract and salt.
2. Grease an 8x8'' baking dish (I use butter to do this) and pour the filling into the dish. Set the dish aside and start on the crumble.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the softened butter and brown sugar. Once combined, add in the salt, flour and oats.
4. When the crumble is combined, sprinkle it over the top of the filling. The crumble should completely cover the filling.
5. Place the baking dish on a baking sheet (in case it overflows!) and bake the crumble for 40-45 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Let the crumble sit for 30 minutes at room temperature before serving!

Let me know if you have questions!


 




No comments:

Post a Comment