Thursday, June 29, 2017

Lemon Squares

This recipe is a long time coming - one of my best friends, Alex has been making these lemon squares forever and I have been begging to have the recipe! Alex claims that this recipe is a big family secret. She finally agreed to let me in on the secret recipe on the condition that my readers keep it on the down low ;)

A couple of weeks ago, Alex and I got together for a little bake day and we made these lemon squares. After baking, I uploaded all of the pictures onto my Google drive but I deleted the pictures before they had a chance to upload - so I lost all of the pictures. I texted her in a panic and she said she had to make more soon, so I could join her again! I am so excited to finally be sharing this recipe - it is one of my favorite desserts of all time!


Start on the crust by combing 2 cups of all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup of icing sugar in a medium mixing bowl.
Mix in 1 cup of melted butter. The butter should be completely melted before you mix it in.
Line a 9x13'' baking dish with parchment paper and press the dough into the bottom of the pan - try to get crust as even as possible. Bake the crust for 25 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. While the crust is baking start on the curd.

*Side note: I hate the word curd. Every time Alex said it while we were baking I cringed, so I think she was using it as often as possible just to gross me out! I'm so glad I'm only writing the word to blog this recipe, if I had to give verbal instruction, I would need to use a different word!
I did not take a picture of the curd (blehh) coming together because I had lemon all over my hands! But in a medium mixing bowl, (Alex said she always uses the same mixing bowl for the dough and for the curd - score! That is my favorite!!) combine 1/2 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice (juice from 3-4 lemons) with 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar, 6 Tablespoons of all-purpose flour and 4 eggs.

When the crust comes out of the oven after 25 minutes, pour the curd over the top and put the bars back in the oven for another 25 minutes. Once the curd has cooked for 25 minutes - it should be completely congealed. If not, put it back in the oven for another 5 minutes.

When the bars come out of the oven, allow them to cool completely before cutting them into squares and enjoying them! I recommend serving these chilled and storing them in the refrigerator!

LEMON SQUARES

ingredients

for the crust...
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 cup butter, melted

for the curd...
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 3-4 lemons)
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 eggs

directions
1. Combine the flour and icing sugar in a medium mixing bowl. Mix in the melted butter until the mixture holds together.
2. Prep a 9x13'' baking dish with parchment paper. Press the dough into the bottom of the baking dish and bake the crust for 25 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. While the crust is baking, combine the lemon juice, granulated sugar, flour and eggs in a medium mixing bowl.
4. When the crust comes out of the oven, pour the curd over top and put the bars back in the oven for another 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, the curd should be completely congealed. If not, put the bars in the oven for another 5 minutes.
5. When the bars come out of the oven, allow them to cool completely before cutting them into squares and enjoying them. Store them in the fridge.

Let me know if you have questions!







No comments:

Post a Comment