Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Pancakes (+Gluten Free Option)

When my mom went gluten free in January, I remember thinking 'now everything she eats will be gross!' So not true, but many things that are gluten free just don't measure up! And I still stand by that! Cooking and baking gluten free is hard and the end result isn't as reliable! I tried making a gluten free pie crust a few months ago and it was a major flop :( When I find great recipes that work just as well when they're gluten free, I get pretty excited! Good food is important in this house!

A couple of weekends ago, I went to an early morning yoga class and came home with a serious hankering for pancakes! I wanted the fluffiest pancakes and I wanted them fast! I found a great recipe on a blog called Mm Good, you can find it HERE. I made half of the recipe with all-purpose flour and the other half with gluten free flour. I felt it was my duty to try both - it's part of the job, right!? I am thrilled to report that I couldn't even tell a difference! They were equally as fluffy and they were both delicious!

Start by combining mixing 1 1/2 cups of milk and 1/4 cup of white vinegar in a glass measuring dish. leave the measuring dish to sit while you combine the dry ingredients. The milk and vinegar should sit for about 10 minutes. I typically set out the milk and vinegar before I start getting everything ready. I set out the milk and vinegar then I get my mixing bowls, wooden spoons, etc.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of flour (all-purpose flour or gluten free flour!), 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 3/4 teaspoons of salt.

Once the milk and vinegar have been sitting out for about 10 minutes, stir in 1/4 cup of melted butter (I recommend letting the butter cool a little before mixing it in), 2 eggs and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
Pour the contents of the glass measuring dish into the mixing bowl and mix the batter together until it is well combined. Be careful not to over mix it. Once it's combined, leave it be. When the batter is combined, leave it to sit for 2-3 minutes. This was enough time for me to let my frying pan heat up!
Spray a large frying pan with cooking spray and use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to drop pancakes into the pan. I am able to fit three pancakes into my large frying pan.

When the pancake starts to bubble, use a flat spatula to flip it over and allow it to cook completely on the other side. Once the pancake is completely cooked, transfer it to a plate and repeat the cooking process until you've used all of the batter. I ended up with 10 gluten free pancakes and 10 regular pancakes!

We have a warming drawer under our oven, so I store the pancakes there until we are ready to eat! My family ate these pancakes plain with a little maple syrup drizzled over the top, but they would be delicious with a variety on toppings! In the future, I will likely serve these pancakes with some fresh fruit and maybe a little whipped cream!

PANCAKES (+ GLUTEN FREE OPTION!)
yield 20 pancakes

ingredients
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 cups flour (all-purpose or gluten free)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract


directions
1. In a small glass measuring dish, combine milk and vinegar and let sit for about 10 minutes.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt then set the mixing bowl aside.
3. Melt the butter. Let it cool a little before adding it to the glass measuring dish. Once the butter is mixed in, add in the eggs and the vanilla extract.
4. Add the contents of the glass measuring dish to the mixing bowl and stir the batter together until it is well combined. Do not over mix it!
5. Let the batter sit for 2-3 minutes while you heat up a large frying pan over medium heat and spray it with cooking spray.
6. Use a 1/4 cup to add dough to the hot frying pan - I typically fit 3 pancakes into a large frying pan to cook at once. Allow each pancake to cook until the uncooked side bubbles. Flip the pancake with a flat spatula and leave the pancake to cook on the opposite side until it is completely cooked.
7. Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!

Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment