Thursday, October 5, 2017

Gluten Free Apple Crumble

I've shared a recipe for apple crisp before, and that really is my go to apple crisp recipe! You can find it HERE. While that first apple crumble recipe is my favorite, it is not gluten free! Since my mom has gone gluten free, I've been on the hunt for good gluten free recipes and this is one! This recipe is completely gluten free and it is a solid apple crisp!

A couple of months ago, I posted about a gluten free strawberry rhubarb crumble. For this Apple Crisp, I just swapped out the strawberry rhubarb for apples! The crumble is exactly the same!


Start by washing and peeling five apples. Then chop them into bite sized chunks.

Once the apples are chopped, put them in a medium sized mixing bowl. Mix 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/4 cup of gluten free flour in with the apples. Then transfer the apples into an 8x8'' baking dish - I use a glass Pyrex dish.
I wash out my mixing bowl and use the same one for the crumble because I like to avoid dishes at the end! Combine 2/3 cup of softened butter and 2/3 cup of brown sugar until well combined. Then, mix in 3/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon of gluten free flour, 1 1/4 cups of gluten free rolled oats and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
Once the crumble holds together, crumble it evenly over the top of the apples in the baking dish. Then, bake the apple crisp in an oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 40-45 minutes. The top should be golden brown and crisp when it comes out of the oven. Let it cool for about a half an hour before you serve it, but it is great if you can get it while it is still warm!
We had friends over and ate outside on the chilliest first night of October! I'm impressed that my picture is even semi-decent given that it was taken by candle light! I promise it is way more delicious than it looks in this last picture! So much Fall goodness in the easiest dessert ever!

APPLE CRISP
serves about 8 -12 people

ingredients
for the filling...
5 apples, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 cup of gluten free flour

for the crumble top...
2/3 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup +1 Tablespoon gluten free flour
1 1/4 cups rolled oats
1/4 teaspoon salt

directions
1. Wash, peel and cut up the apples into bite sized pieces.
2. Place the apples in a medium mixing bowl and mix in granulated sugar, cinnamon and gluten free flour.
3. Transfer the apples into an 8x8'' baking dish (I use a glass Pyrex dish). Then, prepare the crumble topping.
4. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the softened butter and the brown sugar.
5. Once the butter and sugar are well combined, mix in the gluten free flour, the rolled oats and the salt.
6. Crumble the topping as evenly as possible over the apples.
7. Bake the apple crumble in an oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 40-45 minutes. The top should be golden brown and crisp when you remove it from the oven.
8. Leave the apple crumble to cool for about 30 minutes before serving!

Let me know if you have questions!






No comments:

Post a Comment