Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Gluten Free Naan Bread

Today, I'm talking about gluten free naan bread. And I should start by saying that while this recipe worked, it was not the best. In no way was it comparable to real naan bread, but if you are gluten free this is a solid option. I took a regular naan bread recipe and subbed the regular flour for GF flour - did it work? Yes. Am I head over heels in love with this recipe? No. But it tasted good and it worked well with my favorite butter chickpeas! So, just keep all of this in mind should you choose to make this recipe!

I found the recipe on Little Vienna, you can find the original HERE. I am very interested in trying this recipe with regular flour to see if turns out any differently!
Start with 3 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon of milk and 2 Tablespoons of butter in a medium mixing bowl. Place the milk and butter in the microwave until the butter is completely melted.
Let the mixture cool down until it is just warm, then stir in 1/4 cup of plain yogurt.
Mix in 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder until well combined. Then, mix in 1 cup of gluten free flour. and mix with your hands until the dough holds together in a ball.

*Note the original recipe calls for 1 1/4 cups of flour, but my dough held together after just 1 cup so I opted not to put the 1/4 cup in. I have heard that you should increase the fat when you are using gluten free flour. So, in this case, I would increase the butter. Do you know anything about this? Would this totally change the end result?
Use a butter knife to separate the dough into 4 equal pieces.
Roll each ball into an oval about 1/8 of an inch thick.
Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Once the frying pan is hot, place one of the rolled out naan breads into the center of the pan. Let the naan bread cook for about 3 minutes on one side then flip it to let it cook for about a minute on the other side.

The original recipe says it will begin to bubble, but let me tell you - there is no bubbling going on in this gluten free recipe! It just darkens. And again, it doesn't taste bad, it is just not typical naan bread!
When each of the naan breads are cooked, brush some butter on them and wrap them in tinfoil. And you're good to go!
I put our little tinfoil wrapped naan on the table along with some butter chickpeas! Now, where the naan bread is just ok, the butter chickpeas are fabulous!!! This is one of my all time favorite recipes! You can find the recipe HERE.

I'll see you tomorrow with a recipe for frangipane - you do not want to miss that! It is so not gluten free and delicious! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment